The United Nations Command, led by the United States, began conversations with Pyongyang on Monday regarding the U.S. soldier who ran across the border from South Korea to North Korea last week.
Pvt. 2nd Class Travis King, who has been a cavalry scout with the Army since January 2021, was supposed to fly home to the U.S. after serving two months in prison on assault charges, but he didn’t get on the flight, choosing to cross into North Korea seemingly on his own volition.“None of us know where this is going to end,” Andrew Harrison, the deputy commander at the U.N. Command, said during a news conference in Seoul, according to the Associated Press.
He declined to say how their communication with North Korea, which had not been responsive to U.S. outreach, began or how constructively Pyongyang had responded. Harrison also declined to share what they know about King’s condition, and he said the contact happened through “mechanisms” developed during the U.N. Command’s creation in the 1950s.
Publicly, North Korean officials have not mentioned King, who was supposed to fly to Fort Bliss, Texas, following his release from a local prison for an assault conviction and brief stay under U.S. supervision. A number of Biden administration agencies are attempting to get more information on King, though several details — such as King’s motives, well-being, and location — remain unknown. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said King “willfully and without authorization” crossed the military demarcation line.King’s decision to cross the militarized border comes at a tense time on the Korean Peninsula, during which North Korea has continued its weapons testing while the U.S.
On Monday, the South Korean Joint Chiefs said the North Korean military fired a possible ballistic missile into the eastern sea.
Argentina Últimas Noticias, Argentina Titulares
Similar News:También puedes leer noticias similares a ésta que hemos recopilado de otras fuentes de noticias.
'Conversation has commenced' with North Korea over US solider, United Nations Command says | CNNA “conversation has commenced” with North Korea over US Army Pvt. Travis King, who crossed the border between North and South Korea last week in the demilitarized zone separating the two nations, the deputy commander of the United Nations Command (UNC) said Monday.
Leer más »
Second US submarine arrives in South Korea amid North Korea tensionsA U.S. nuclear-powered submarine arrived in South Korea on Monday, only days after the first U.S. nuclear armed submarine made port in the country in four decades, as the two allies seek to boost American strategic assets to deter North Korea.
Leer más »
US sends another submarine to South Korea, adding to show of force against North KoreaThe nuclear-propelled USS Annapolis arrived at a South Korean island about a week after a nuclear-armed U.S. submarine docked at a mainland port in a show of force to counter North Korean nuclear threats.
Leer más »
US sends another submarine to South Korea, adding to show of force against North KoreaThe United States and South Korea have been expanding their combined military exercises and increasing regional deployments of U.S. strategic assets.
Leer más »
North Korea fires ballistic missile - South Korea, JapanNorth Korea fired a ballistic missile into the sea off its east coast late on Monday, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said.
Leer más »
North Korea fires 2 short-range ballistic missiles after US submarine arrives in South KoreaNorth Korea has fired at least one ballistic missile into its eastern sea, South Korea’s military said, adding to a recent streak in weapons testing that is apparently in protest of the U.S. sending major naval assets to South Korea in a show of force.
Leer más »