Texas man found guilty in 1st Jan. 6 case to go to trial

Argentina Noticias Noticias

Texas man found guilty in 1st Jan. 6 case to go to trial
Argentina Últimas Noticias,Argentina Titulares
  • 📰 SpectrumNews1TX
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 40 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 19%
  • Publisher: 59%

A Texas man has been convicted of storming the U.S. Capitol with a holstered handgun, a milestone victory for federal prosecutors in the first trial among hundreds of cases arising from last year’s riot.

PUBLISHED 2:18 PM ET Mar. 08, 2022A Texas man was convicted on Tuesday of storming the U.S. Capitol with a holstered handgun, a milestone victory for federal prosecutors in the first trial among hundreds of cases arising from last year’s riot.Guy Wesley Reffitt of Wylie, Texas, was found guilty on all charges in the first trial arising from the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol

The verdict could be a bellwether for many other Capitol riot cases. It could give Justice Department prosecutors more leverage in plea negotiations and discourage other defendants from gambling on trials of their own. The defense lawyer urged jurors to acquit Reffitt of all charges but one: He said they should convict him of a misdemeanor charge that he entered and remained in a restricted area.

Before the crowd advanced, Reffitt used a megaphone to shout at police to step aside and to urge the mob to push forward and overtake officers. Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Nestler said Reffitt played a leadership role that day. Jackson Reffitt, then 18, said the threat terrified him. His younger sister, Peyton, was listed as a possible government witness but didn’t testify.

Hemos resumido esta noticia para que puedas leerla rápidamente. Si estás interesado en la noticia, puedes leer el texto completo aquí. Leer más:

SpectrumNews1TX /  🏆 333. in US

Argentina Últimas Noticias, Argentina Titulares



Render Time: 2025-04-05 02:02:33