The U.S. Department of Transportation will send $800 million in funds for 510 road safety projects across the country, including six in Utah, as the nation deals with an uptick in traffic-related deaths.
The federal program was established as an estimated 42,915 people died in traffic crashes across the country in 2021, a 16-year-high,
. Federal officials said Wednesday that preliminary data indicates a similarly high number for 2022, especially in pedestrian and bicycle-related deaths, though those numbers won't be released until later this year.. The final number of deaths ended up being 332 people, according to an update last month.that 320 people died on Utah roads. Pedestrian and bicycle-related deaths rose in the state, as did the number of children killed in crashes.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said he hopes that the program will begin to reduce the number of traffic crashes across the country, which he said isn't just taking lives but also impacting the economy. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, for example,that found the U.S.'s 2019 traffic crashes alone resulted in $340 billion in economic losses.
"Every, year crashes cost tens of thousands of American lives and hundreds of billions of dollars to our economy; we face a national emergency on our roadways, and it demands urgent action," Buttigieg said in a statement Wednesday. "We are proud that these grants will directly support hundreds of communities as they prepare steps that are proven to make roadways safer and save lives.
Argentina Últimas Noticias, Argentina Titulares
Similar News:También puedes leer noticias similares a ésta que hemos recopilado de otras fuentes de noticias.
Department of Transportation announces $800 million in roadway safety projectsIn 2021, the US hit a 16-year high when 42,915 people died from traffic crashes in the US, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Leer más »
Feds Charge Star ABC News Producer With Transportation of Child PornographyBREAKING: Federal prosecutors have charged former ABC News producer James Gordon Meek for transportation of child pornography.
Leer más »
Contra Costa County transportation projects win federal grantsBy Tony Hicks Bay City News Foundation Contra Costa County is receiving almost $29 million of the $133 million in grant money awarded to the state by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s S…
Leer más »
Former ABC News Journalist Arrested and Charged for Transportation of Child PornographyJames Gordon Meek, who worked as an investigative producer, resigned from his position at the news organization in April 2022 the same day the FBI raided his home.
Leer más »
$2.5 billion grant for California public transportation announcedThe grant is part of a multiyear, multibillion-dollar investment project to upgrade the state’s transit system to enhance mobility options, improve service and 'reduce over-dependence on driving.'
Leer más »
Feds Charge Former ABC News Producer With Transportation of Child PornographyFederal agents interviewed one of the children whose Snapchat account was found on Meek’s phone who “confirmed that Meek and other men had approached her through Snapchat and had pressured her to provide pictures depicting sexually explicit conduct.”
Leer más »